Sunday, February 12, 2012

a new beginning

I have been absent for a while, and I am now officially divorced.  The last time I posted about this it was still kind of raw and emotional.  However, on January 3rd I filed the papers and immediately felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders, I felt light and happy!  It wasn't all easy, but for the most part it has been a positive experience.  I know Tom feels quite differently about it, but we are after all on different sides of the experience.  The divorce was final on February 6th, but I didn't receive the paperwork until the 8th.  I had wondered if I would feel sad when I learned it was final, but the irrepressible grin that spread across my face answered my own question.  I am so happy to feel free!  I didn't realize just how weighted down I was.  I have been divorced for almost a week now and so far it feels good.  I miss having a man to snuggle up to when I get cold during the night, and especially when I first crawl into bed and my toes are frozen...but I'm getting used to it.  The biggest change I think is yet to come...it'll be going to single adult activities!  Yikes! 

2 comments:

M&B...Brubaker said...

I like your attitude reflected in the title 'a new beginning'. You're going to be more than just ok. You've had a positive cheerful attitude despite the difficult times you've had these past 20 years. I'm excited to see what you do next and where your this new chapter will lead you. I'm certain that those 20 years weren't for nothin'. You're experiences made you the strong independent woman you are. It's your turn to do what is best for you and your children. I am so proud to have you for a big sister.

Anonymous said...

Funny, our divorces were final like 2 weeks apart. I'm struggling, but I know that I'm better off because I just did not feel the same way about him anymore and it wasn't fair to either of us. I actually love being on my own. I actually like sleeping along. I like knowing that there is no one there waiting for me or wondering what I'm doing. I feel free and I love it.