Saturday, November 7, 2009

New York part 1

In October I went to New York with my 100 year old grandma to visit family and friends. I haven't been there for more than 20 years. We stayed with my Aunt Cheri and Uncle Pete who live in the old family home. When Grandpa died in 1987 Grandma had an apartment built onto the side of the main house and Pete and Cheri moved into the main home. Grandma lived in the apartment until about 3 years ago when it became too difficult for her to live alone. Pete and Cheri both work full time so she was alone all day. As you can see, there aren't very many neighbors!


Pete and Cheri live a quieter life than I'm used to! They don't have a tv, and they use the woodburning stove in the photo below for heat. They spend their evenings preparing and enjoying gourmet meals, listening to music, and visiting around the kitchen table or sitting in front of the fire in the living room. It was a lovely change of pace from my crazy busy life! I didn't miss tv at all.
Uncle Pete wears gloves while cooking and sometimes he's a little silly...



The house was built before bathrooms, well indoor ones anyway. This is the original bathroom.


Pete uses this old school bus for storage...I just liked the colors.


Here's another photo of the bus.


Gram was so happy to be home again! I love this photo of her, I think her inner child shows through here.




This is the road in front of the house.







This is Seamon Park in Saugerties New York. It's so different from the parks out west! The caretaker lives in the house in the middle of the park.


There were several groups of teenagers hanging out in the park that day, but I managed to hide them behind a clump of mums in this picture.








No comments: